Gas and Pipeline Safety
The distinctive odor of natural gas is a safety feature to alert you and your family to even the smallest amount that might escape. Because natural gas has no natural scent, a harmless chemical is added to create this distinctive odor. It may smell bad, but that's good. Everyone should be able to recognize this built-in safety signal.
If you smell escaping natural gas:
- Investigate - follow your nose to the source. It may be an extinguished pilot light or a partially opened burner valve or something else that is easily and safely corrected.
- If you cannot locate the source - or if the odor persists, call 911. And then call Riviera Utilities at 251-943-4999.
- If the odor rises intensely - If you are indoors, leave the premises right away. Don't light a match or switch ANYTHING electrical on or off.
- Do NOT open doors or windows to allow fresh air into your house unless it has been determined that gas concentrations are at a safe level.
- Go to the nearest telephone outside the building and call 251-943-5001. Remain outside the home or building. Do NOT re-enter. We will immediately dispatch a serviceman.
For more information, choose a topic below:
If you have a gas emergency or suspect a leak, leave the location and call 251-943-4999.