On Sunday, February 13, 2022, The Utilities Board of the City of Foley issued an alert to customers in the area of 1350 South McKenzie Street concerning a sanitary sewer overflow (SSO).
The overflow occurred as a result of a blockage of a gravity sewer main due to excessive grease. The Utilities Board of the City of Foley responds to overflows in a manner consistent with state and federal standards. We are warning the public to avoid contact with the water around the drainage ditch adjacent to this location as well as downstream surface water bodies including Bon Secour River.
- This is a result of a blockage due to excessive grease in the gravity sewer main.
- The SSO happened at a sanitary sewer manhole adjacent to the driveway at the referenced address and entered a nearby storm drain.
- Personnel observed the SSO at 5:20 pm and crews had mobilized to respond by 5:40 pm.
- The initial estimate of total sewage lost is approximately 1,275 gallons.
- The SSO was stopped at 6:45 pm, February 13, 2022.
The SSO area will be cleaned and disinfected. However, we urge residents to exercise caution using these bodies of water for recreational purposes, thoroughly cook any fish or seafood caught in these areas, and thoroughly wash their hands after handling any fish or seafood from these areas.
If you have questions regarding the SSO, please call us at (251) 943-5001.